Thursday, October 30, 2008

Prime (2005)

When - 29 October 2008
Where - Home (SD)
How - DVD from the Library

Boring. This movie was simply boring. It had some moments where I chuckled, but half the time I was more interested in my laptop than the film. Not a good sign. The story attempts rather genuinely to be "realistic" in it's approach to an older-ish (mid to late 30s) woman dating a 23 year old, and boy does it try. Back and forth, back and forth. I love you, I hate you, I love you, I hate you... It was about as painful as Ross and Rachel (but without genuine characters, clever dialogue, and really funny situations). The end did not feel earned, as the final realization just felt tacked on, like we're supposed to have believed this character had this philosophy the whole time. Lame. Meryl Streep's also in it, in a decidedly more supporting capacity. She's basically the film's "hook", as Syd Field would say, playing the shrink to Uma and the mother to her (Uma's) boy toy. Quite the quandary, but with very little genuine laughs actually milked out of it. This is a shame, especially coming from Ben Younger, who wrote and directed the awesome Boiler Room with BAffleck and Giovanni Ribisi. Oh well. At least I got some eBay shopping done...

Side Note: I used the word "genuine" a lot in this entry. Weird.

Buy - Never.

No comments: