Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I enjoyed it, and I look forward to the franchise developing on what was built here (more Moriarity, please), but this film was just, I dunno.

Robert Downey Jr. continues to confirm what I've been saying since 2006: "That boy can act!" Every character he's played since re-surging back into Hollywood with Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang has been better than I could have expected (although, I didn't see The Soloist, so I can't attest to that). He makes this movie. Without a doubt. Guy Richie's direction calls too much attention to itself in the film's first act, but it finds a nice, stylistic groove that helps bring a new look and attitude to what had become a rather stuffy franchise.

Overall, a recommend. It's fun, and that's something a lot of movies can't guarantee. This one just needed a better story, I think. And a few more lights on-set; movie was a little dark.....

Buy? - Eventually. Probably used, but definitely on Blu-ray.

No comments: