Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bingeflix - Big Fan (2009)

I have a hard time with sports fans who are so undyingly loyal to their respective sports team, that it makes them semi-retarded, socially speaking. I see this a lot on the college level, especially from my alma mater (where they fancy their football and basketball teams anointed from on high, I kid you not). It makes me sad for them.

This film basks in that insanity, and puts it on trial, ultimately saying in the end that fandom will win out, no matter what awful, terrible things one fan in particular has to endure. I took issue with that. Probably because I just don't get it, and I never will, so in the end it seems silly. I'm not even that much of a movie fan to ever completely rid my life of any sense of normalcy in order to fully commit myself to something I have no control over. It'd just drive me insane.

Patton Oswalt is just incredible in it, though. He's impressed me quite frequently as a serious act-or, specifically his work on United States of Tara, where he had to handle some heavy stuff.

Overall, it's a well-made movie, but one I couldn't get completely behind because of the numbskull protagonist and his misguided life choices. I'll just never understand the point of it all.

Buy? - Nope. It's not a downer, but it is hard to watch at some points. Movies like this just aren't re-watchable, unless you find it funny or something. And in that case, shame on you.

Side Note - The guy they cast as Patton Oswalt's brother isn't actually Patton Oswalt's brother, but you'll swear it is.

Up Next - The Tiger and the Snow (2005)

No comments: