Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bingeflix - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (1967)

One of those classics that I've always ignored, mostly because I found its politics out-dated, so I just never cared. But, I knew I SHOULD see it, because it's one of those movies, you know?

Turns out, it's pretty good. The thing about the politics is that I never figured out what the big deal was with an interracial couple. I figured the film would be a sort of comedy of errors, not quite unlike the horrid "remake" of this film with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher-Moore-Willis... BUT, back in '67, this was a very radical notion, and the fate of a couple who dared defy cultural norms was firmly planted in the land of scorn and violence. This film touched on that, and raised serious questions about what it means to be a radical, and if that's really the most rational kind of person to be at any given point in time.

All in all, a fine experience. It moves like a movie from that era would move, so be aware of that. Not a brisk, densely plotted film. It's a talkie, in the truest sense of the word. There is a car accident, though, if that moves you. Sexually.

Buy? - No. Not something I'd pull out over and over again. It's something you show high school students, but not your kids. Unless they're racists. Or into car crashes. Sexually.

Side Note - True story, there is actually a movie about people who get turned on by car crashes. It's called Crash, and you can blame David Cronenberg for it.

Up Next - Big Fan (2009)

No comments: