Thursday, December 24, 2009

Broadcast News (1987)

This film has eluded me for some time. It's been one that I've meant to see on several different occasions, but the mood was never right. Until now.

So, what did I think? Was it worth the wait? Or was I correct to pass it by....?

Boy oh boy was I missing out. Not only is the film well-written (it's James L. Brooks for cryin' out loud), but the acting is out-of-this-world. All three of the leads (Holly Hunter, Albert Brooks, William Hurt) nail it, especially Albert Brooks; he takes the sarcastic Jewish man to new heights in this film, giving him a love-sick persona that would make Woody Allen jealous.

All in all, the film is subtle, witty, charming and in the end, very satisfying, despite a rather romantically unsatisfying ending. A joy to behold.

Buy? - But of course!

No comments: