Friday, December 11, 2009

Law-Abiding Citizen (2009)

(I've decided to post again, but with different rules. I don't think I'll document it quite like I did in the past, because formatting is a bore for me, and I'd rather not have that ruin the fun of giving opinions on films)

Okay, this film has one thing going for it: surprise. Half the fun of creating a character like Gerard Butler's is that you can keep the audience guessing as to his motives, and especially his methods. The Nolan Bros. accomplished this same feat with the Joker in The Dark Knight. I was genuinely interested in the seeing this film to its end simply because I didn't know what was going to happen next. I knew people were going to die, but who, how and when were all very good questions. Overall, the film is ridiculous. It's littered with plot holes, and it just doesn't accomplish what it sets out to be (a critique on the justice system), so if fails for the most part. Still, good try.


Side Note: I read a good chunk of a draft of this script way back when, and it was a lot of fun, and very different, but mostly in its characters. The writer who wrote the draft didn't receive any credit, so I imagine that the script is different enough from the final product, so I want to finish it. There you go.

Buy? - No.

No comments: